Saturday, December 23, 2006

After painting so many tanks on commission I decided it would be fun to paint one to a display quality for myself. I have no idea why I thought this would be fun but it's too late to turn back now.

At this stage I have only completed the first of at least three highlights on the red. No highlights on the black yet. I am also going to try and remove and replace the lettering on the front -- it seemed straight at the time. Oops.

Still a long, long way to go - including a display base. I intend to have the plow beaking apart a barrier on a tiered wooden base. The model will be removable for possible game play. Right now I'd say I am no more than 5% complete. That's five, not fifty.

Good thing I have other projects -- this one is going to drive me nuts before I'm finished.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Teronus the Ultimate Dragon - Finished

I got the finishing touches on my old Grenadier dragon last night. I hope to get some detail shots up within the next couple of days but, for now, I have the completed project up on Flickr.

I used the baking soda method for the snow - although I would have used microbeads if I'd had time to get to the shop before my deadline. This one goes out tonight as a birthday/holiday gift. I am still happy with the end result and, if you look closely, you should be able to spot the resin drool coming out of his jaw. Much fun.

It was nice to get away from the sci-fi painting universe and pick up a model I had started... 20 years ago? Somewhere between 15 and 20 anyway.

I will also get a before/after view up at some point as well.

Commission - Black Templar Predator

I just got the final okay on a Black Templar Predator Tank painted to gaming standard.

This one was done in the black and white scheme with the lascannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons. This is also the first time that I've had the hunter killer missile launcher on a vechicle - and I have to say that I am not impressed with the options that GW gives for attaching it.

Another fun vechicle finished though and another happy customer. I can't complain too much.

Thursday, December 7, 2006

Project Update - Grenadier Dragon

Finally starting to make some real progress on this one. I still only consider the model about 50% complete - especially as the base is still sitting on a shelf - but the model no longer seems overwhelming.

Wings were wet blended using VGC Imperial Blue and white. Now that they're dry (sigh) I'm considering going back in to bring them all the way to white at the edges.

Quite a bit of touch-up and little work to do. The base is going to be snow covered rock on a wood display stand... all before the end of the month. Oi.

Monday, December 4, 2006


Black Templar battleforce sold on eBay to a buyer... in Spain. Final sale price $150 - a steal at $60 for the work.

This should fund the next battleforce once I get my plate cleared off a bit and get the next round of commissions out. I'm considering another Black Templar force - they're fun to paint and have a lot of options available to them thanks to the GW codex and model update.

Friday, December 1, 2006

Project Update - Grenadier "Ultimate Dragon"

After someone showed me Forgeworld's incredible "Fire Dragon" I had to go and did one of my old dragons out of a box. The largest, and most visually impressive, of those was the "Ultimate Dragon" from Grenadier - circa early 1990s.

I spent several days filing, pinning and gap filling. At this point I have probably put 4-6 hours in to prep and 6-10 in painting. I had started with drybrushing and washes to pick out highlights on the scales -- but just wasn't getting the effects I wanted. I am now painting each individual scale.

At this stage I consider his face (and only his face) close to finished. I do think that I'm going to change the colour of the small scales next to his mouth. I also need to finish his tounge but then I'm going to leave the face alone for awhile so I don't over-correct it.

The rest of the model has a long, long way to go.