I've made only a little bit of progress since I took this shot. The suckers on the end of the lash have their basecoat and primer... otherwise I've been too busy to paint.
The banner was accomplished using a decoupage technique and thus isn't actually freehand. I will be reusing the technique just about as often as I can. I only had to use some putty to smooth out the edges where the paper was still higher than the banner. With a different banner it wouldn't have been an issue.
I have decided not to give the cape additional highlights. I will let the base colour and shading stand alone -- at least until the rest of the model is completely finished. At the moment I really think that the darker colour does a good job of framing the model.