Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Another piece for Bill's armoured company. This is his conversion and I think that it really came together. If you're going to put a Commissar in a tank then that tank needs to be able to blow the bejesus out of other tanks -- and this can do just that. Quite the intimidating piece of equipment.

This one was painted to the Tier 1 standard -- but with all of the detail on the model I think that it really pops even at that level. Just a superb model.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Unless I get change requests back from the client this one should be ready to go. The conversion work was done by GreyDeath of the "Work In Progress" forums -- and the commission was for a Tier 1 (aka gaming standard) paint job.

I put some extra work in to the body of the jeep because it was 1) a real pleasure to paint and 2) good practice for my weathered black.

The mud glaze was done a bit thick intentionally as I thought a gun jeep would have a bit more than a touch of dirt in the corners. On a Tier 2 model I might have gone so far as to glue "mud" along the lower portion of the jeep if the client wanted it.

In the end quite pleased with the result. I hope the client is as well.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

I'm going to post this guy on a couple of forums for some final feedback -- but I think he's finally ready to make his appearance on eBay. I have to say that I'm glad to have the project completed.

I am really pleased with the results of the magnets though. I already have four right arm options for the BT commander that this model inspired. I suspect that it will be very easy to get carried away creating combination options.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

This incredible conversion arrived today with a collection of miniatures for my next commission. This client is fantastic and always sends me the most interesting things to paint. There are several other pieces in this shipment that I can't wait to paint -- but more on those later.

I'm really looking forward to painting this one and hope that I can capture the character of it appropriately. The little details are just a wonder -- and while the body came from a Land Speeder you really wouldn't know it given how seamlessly the whole thing comes together.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Magnetic Empire General Update

Another set of arms finished today; the only up side to being home sick, I suppose. I also finished the cloak and included the symbols of Sigmar in freehand... but I'm not entirely pleased with the result and hope for some feedback. At this stage only two sets of arms, two heads and one body to go. Oi.

For now it's time to take a break.

Monday, February 5, 2007

Commissioned Inquisitor & Retinue

I got the final okay on this order just today and except for some clean-up on the bases (that I noticed in the photos) it's ready to go out.

This is the first time I've done a squad or unit to a mixed quality. In this case the Inquisitor was painted to the "Tabletop" standard* and the retinue was painted to "Gaming" standard. Shared colours, the excellent bases the client provided, and a unified theme managed to bring these models together though and I'm happy with the results.

*Note to self: replace the "tabletop" and "gaming" mumbo-jumbo with "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" -- it's makes just as little sense but it's easier to keep straight.

Empire General Update

I have finally had a chance to make some more progress on my Empire General project. In this case I made some changes to the armour, to add to the red/white theme, and finished a pair of arms and one head.

There's still a lot of clean-up to do, and a tail and base to be painted and finished, but overall I'm quite pleased with the results. I also have a lot of fun repositioning the pieces and swapping bits in and out. I am not a huge fan of magnetic commanders... and I've already started drilling and gluing a Space Marine.

It's going to be hard to let this one go when it's finished -- but I really don't have a use for him and a magnetic display piece doesn't make much sense. Hopefully he goes to someone that will use him on a regular basis.

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Empire General 02

I got some painting done on this guy today. Unfortunately the metallics are so reflective that the whole thing looks totally washed out. This is actually quite likely the best painting I've ever done.

The last image is me lifting the entire model by the tip of the lance. I managed to pick up and move the model across the room -- all holding on to the lance that was simply attached via the magnet. Fun stuff.

Now I'm off to find a tutorial on photographing metallic paints.

I'm hoping to have the finished product on eBay within two weeks.